Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What time is it? It's five to Winter Solstice...


ThePresent is a marvelous, one-of-a-kind clock that tells the story of time in seasons, not seconds. The design studio responsible for this lovely creation is "m ss ng p eces" in Brooklyn. They say ThePresent is "a 21st century clock that inspires a natural rhythm: a scale of time that feels a lot more like life." The equinoxes and solstices are on the 3, 6, 9, and 12 positions and the colors on the face shift according to the seasons. The pixel perfect clock face features 16 million colors and was printed using six color processing in New York.

I have always told time by the seasons. I think I got this from my beloved grandmother who decorated her home for each season. As an adult, I do the same, and always celebrate the equinoxes and solstices (as regular readers have no doubt noticed). I like the sense of time this produces for me. It feels more authentic, more connected to the planet, and it feels more expansive. Telling time in the wheel of the year insures the continuation of the wheel. It's quite beautiful actually.




ThePresent is available for purchase on their website:

No comments: