Tuesday, October 26, 2010

BEAUTY: Painting--Giovanni Boldini

A masterpiece portrait was recently discovered in a Paris flat that had been locked up for the last 70 years. Since then, the painter of the piece, Giovanni Boldini, has been brought into renewed focus for us here in the 21st century. In fact, the lost masterpiece sold at auction for €2.1 million.

Boldini (1842-1931), born in Italy, was a celebrated portrait painter who worked in Paris from 1872 until his death. He was a friend of Edgar Degas, whose influence, I believe, can be seen in Boldini's swishing, flourishing, near-Impressionistic style. I love how the realist portrait style for the faces dissolves into random jagged backgrounds. His work looks like ribbons of color unfurling in a breeze.


Top to bottom: Portrait Of A Young Man; Count Robert de Montesquiou; Portrait of the Artist Lawrence Alexander "Peter" Harrison; Portrait Of Marchesa Luisa Casati With A Greyhound; Walking In The Bois de Boulogne; John Singer Sargent (Standing); La Divina; Spanish Dancer At The Moulin Rouge

http://www.giovanniboldini.org/

1 comment:

Tony Sexton said...

I think the portrait of the young man shows Boldini at his very best. I was surprised to find that he had painted it. Its restraint is admirable, and I think it the best work I have seen by him. In general, though his paintings are attractive and decorative, I find his mannered style reminiscent of fashion illustration. For me, the portrait of the young man is a revelation of what he was actually capable of.